[May 5, 2010 – Nashville, TN] Recent flooding in Middle Tennessee will result in traveling repair crews descending on residents offering emergency repair services to homeowners and businesses.
If you are one of the many homeowners or businesses affected, you may need major home repairs as well as clean up jobs from flood damaged homes, fallen tree limbs, or other damages as a result of the recent storms. You should be on the watch for traveling, fly-by-night repair crews that will hit storm damaged areas within hours. These repair crews know demand for service will be high and that local, well established home repair and roofing companies will be working their crews around the clock. Many homeowners don’t want to wait for estimates on repairs…so when there is a knock on the door from a home repair crew, good consumer business practices are all but forgotten.
Checking with the Better Business Bureau on the reliability of any company can provide valuable information on its marketplace reliability including whether the company is a BBB Accredited Business, a listing of its principal officers, business start date, number of complaints, and what to do if you experience a problem.
BBB offers two very valuable services, at no cost, that will put you in touch with trustworthy businesses. Visit our website at http://www.Nashville.BBB.org and click on the Accredited Business Directory to locate BBB’s roster of Accredited Businesses. You may also obtain estimates for necessary work by clicking on E-Quote. This is a free service that will instantly put you in touch with BBB Accredited businesses you can trust.
Call one of BBB’s branch offices if you need further assistance or don’t have access to the Internet:
Consumers who reside in the following counties may be eligible for FEMA assistance – Cheatham, Davidson, Hickman and Williamson. To apply contact FEMA at 800-621-FEMA (3362) or http://www.fema.gov
- Kim Rinehart, Debbie Vandesteeg or Katy Wilson, Membership Services of BBB Nashville at (615) 250-4244;
- Chris Hubbard, Branch Manager of BBB Tenn-Tucky area serving Clarksville, Hopkinsville, Fort Campbell and surrounding counties at 931.503.2210;
- Beth Furbush, Branch Manager of BBB Murfreesboro area serving Rutherford, Bedford, Coffee, Cannon and Warren Counties at 615.867.0032;
- Becky Logue, Branch Manager of BBB Columbia Area serving Giles, Lincoln, Moore, Marshall, Lawrence, Maury, Lewis, Wayne and Franklin Counties at 931.388.4154;
- Elaine Cumby, Branch Manager of BBB of the Upper Cumberland serving Clay, Dekalb, Fentress, Jackson, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, Smith & White Counties at 931-520-0008;
- Elizabeth Mefford, Branch Manager of BBB Williamson County at 615.250.7432
BBB offers the following advice on how to avoid being the victim of a fly-by-night repair crew:
- Never do business with a repair crew that knocks on your door (unless you can verify their contractors license)
- Never pay in advance
- Ask for identification (such as drivers license / do not accept business cards or name badges as identification
- Ask for proof of contractors license and insurance coverage
- Check with your Better Business Bureau for a reliability report before doing business by calling (615) 242-4222 or go online at www.Nashville.BBB.org
Start your search With Trust by visiting www.Nashville.BBB.org
# # #
The BBB of Middle Tennessee, Inc. was founded in 1961 as a non-profit Tennessee organization serving 38 counties in Middle Tennessee and 7 counties in Southern Kentucky. The first BBB was founded in 1912. Today, BBBs serve communities across the U.S. and Canada.
Serving as the 'ethical gatepost' of our communities, BBB fosters and promotes ethical business practices and self-regulation standards that build consumer trust in the marketplace. BBB services include business reliability information, complaint resolution services and consumer and business educational information. In 2008 BBB Nashville handled over 4.0 million services requests via our web site www.nashville.bbb.org.
[Subscribe Here] to
receive Alerts & News updates from the BBB