BBB Warns Maury County Businesses of TNT Productions/Marketing
BBB Warns Maury County Businesses of
Company scams local businesses out of sponsorship money
(June 6, 2013- Columbia, Tennessee) – BBB warns Maury County businesses of the disreputable practices of Tim Turner, President of TNT Productions/Marketing located in Florence, Alabama – phone 256.577.0843. TNT Productions claims to offer marketing and promotion for event services.
This company approached several Maury County businesses for sponsorships stating they have partnered with different local non-profit organizations and charities to present “The 1st Annual ‘Unity in the Community’ Blues and Old-School Festival.” The festival was originally scheduled for April 27th, 2013 and then rescheduled for June 8th, 2013. TNT Productions claimed the event would be held at Maury County Fairgrounds with all proceeds benefiting the partnerships from local charities.
Claiming the festival would be a cost effective way to promote their business in Middle Tennessee, Turner promised to engage in a very aggressive advertising and marketing campaign designed to spread the word about the “Unity in the Community” festival; however, no marketing or advertising ever occurred. Businesses that purchased sponsorship packages spent up to $1,500.00 for the event; however, Mr. Turner has disappeared and is nowhere to be found.
BBB contacted the Maury County Fairgrounds and was informed there has never been a music festival scheduled for either date. In addition, BBB contacted several of the local non-profit organizations and charities with which Turner claimed he had formed partnerships, and each advised BBB they were not associated nor affiliated with TNT Productions. When BBB attempted to reach Mr. Turner at the phone number listed on the sponsorship documents, the call ended with a “mail box is full” message.
BBB offers the following advice when approached for a sponsorships/charity appeals:
- Check with BBB to ensure the promotional company is trustworthy.
- Contact the claimed partners of the promotion to verify their affiliation with the event.
- Contact the venue where the event is to be held to confirm the scheduled date.
- Gather information on the charities that will benefit from the promotion, and ask them the following questions:
- Are you affiliated/associated with the promotional company?
- How will my donation/sponsorship be used?
- How much of my donation/sponsorship goes to the actual cause?
- Is my donation/sponsorship tax deductible?
- Request annual reports to ensure at least 65% of the money raised goes toward the charities’ programs/services offered.
- Check with Tennessee’s Charitable Solicitation’s Board to verify the charity is registered.
Start your search for trustworthy businesses With Trust by visiting BBB’s accredited business directory http://www.bbb.org/nashville/accredited-business-directory
# # #
When in Doubt, remember to check with BBB for information on
businesses you can TRUST by visiting
The BBB of Middle Tennessee, Inc. was founded in 1961 as a non-profit Tennessee organization serving 38 counties in Middle Tennessee and 7 counties in Southern Kentucky. The first BBB was founded in 1912. Today, BBBs serve communities across the U.S. and Canada.
Serving as the 'ethical gatepost' of our communities, BBB fosters and promotes ethical business practices and self-regulation standards that build consumer trust in the marketplace. BBB services include business reliability information, complaint resolution services and consumer and business educational information.
[Subscribe Here] to
receive Alerts & News updates from the BBB